Thread: DH to the NL??
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Guessing maybe you're more of an AL fan? No problem with that, but no NL manager would pull his ace (guy like Kershaw, Bum, Grienke, Scherzer, etc) in that situation unless there's something else at play (starter felt a twinge in his side... starter doesn't have his A stuff and has labored through 4 or 5 and at 100+ pitches). If a starter is cruising and is a guy who usually goes deep, I highly doubt pulling him in a tie game becomes a consideration until the 7th. Plus, if that pitcher is an all around "ballplayer" and can deliver in situations (bunt, butcher), or can just flat out hit (Bumgarner), he can greatly influence his manager's decision.

I love the anticipation ahead of each of these moments in an NL game (less than 2 out, 8 hitter up with RISP and pen warming up), and sometimes a manager surprises you. I love Boch for the fact he'll often leave a guy like Bum in to hit in the late innings of close games. Every time he does that, he's showing great faith in his guys, and I think this is one of the reasons his guys are so loyal.

right it never happens in the 4th or 5th inning...if the 25 million dollar pitcher is pitching well...7th inning yes ....no way in heck the 4th or 5th inning..that would be brutal on the bullpen for the next game..and afterall part of getting paid 25 million is not just to win games but its to help save the bullpen with long outings