View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 03:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
So I was looking at 52 Topps on ebay and came across this Mantle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-M...3D281926611053

It got me thinking. Is it possible the seller makes a totally fake Mantle, I mean not even close using maybe a printer and gluing a printed copy on some stock and then spends $10 and submits to PSA knowing he is going to get a questionable authentic flip. That is his objective simply get the flip. He then lists on ebay thinking given the price of a true authentic 52 Mantle at say 5K that someone will buy it for a decent price with the hopes they can submit to say SGC and possibly get that authentic grade. The potential buyers spend say $100+ to possibly make $5000. If so its an ingenious plan. He doesnt even have to lie in the listing just show it was returned as questionable.

The bids are already over $100.

What do you think is it plausible? Probable?

The seller even responds to a question that states its fake and the seller states he never said it was real.

BTW if that is his plan it is ingenious but it's a dick move.
Definitely probable, and most likely the exact reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weilervintage View Post
I'm currently working on building the '52 Topps set - getting all the common and semi-stars done first.

My largest worry (and sure I'm not the only one) when I start working on the Mantle, Mays, Mathews, etc...; how hard is it going to be to complete with authentic cards because of all the fakes & reprints that have flooded the market in the last handful of years.

It seems you can't even trust what's "graded" anymore on any era of cards. Whether it's people cracking them open and swapping cards or the grading companies not even catching the fakes because they are starting to look so authentic, if you will.
You mean like post 18 in this thread?

I assume it's a joke as I think the poster is well known around here and other places. Just stirring the pot imo.
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217479&page=2