View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymao34 View Post
i believe some shillers shill because they don't wanna lose they're pants off. AH's set reserves at crazy low reserves. This is indeed not in favor of the consignor. AHs only care if item sells b/c bottom line is they still come out with a consignment fee and the only loser is the consignor.Perhaps a solution to this may be letting the consignor set his/her own reserve. At least that would eliminate those shillers who shill to avoid a loss. Its better for the consignor to buy they're own items back than take a loss and letting consignors set the reserve might solve that.
I certainly understand the impulse: I lost a lot of money on some items that I sold in 2014 because IMO the AH set far too low an opening bid. The next time I consigned items for sale I required that the AH either set a reserve or guarantee me a minimum. There are enough alternatives out there for a seller to find an AH that won't put all of the risk on them. Or just sell your crap on eBay and set your own parameters. Regardless, not cheating other collectors isn't an option, it is a basic ethical value. Allen and crew lacked it and now they have to spend years in the pokey as a result. Good. I hope it hurts.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-08-2016 at 06:53 PM.