View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

#1 is the most common Dempsey restaurant PC. Dozens on eBay at any given week. A couple of bucks on a good day.

#3 is a WWI era card but w/o knowing who the fighters are, a couple of bucks.

#2 is interesting. If the fighters are African-American you have what appears to be a one-off RPPC of the end of a Battle Royal. Those were fights with their roots in slavery where several slaves would be pitted against each other in the ring at once, blindfolded and no holds barred, last man standing format. The winner's master received a prize. Plus won his side bets. IBHOFer Tom Molineaux was a slave who fought in them; he was freed after a bout and went to England where he became a sensation in the prize ring.

After the Civil War the Battle Royal with African-American fighters persisted into the mid-20th century. HOFers Jack Johnson and Beau Jack also fought in Battles Royal. I have a PC of a navy Battle Royal from WWII on the postcards page of my site, and two other prewar ones.

As far as value goes, it is hard to say. I've seen other Battle Royal PCs sell as low as $6 and as high as $40.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-24-2016 at 11:25 AM.