View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 09:09 AM

Default When others find out about your obsession

I like to think that on the outside, I present myself as a normal(ish) type of person. People who know me, know I love baseball, baseball cards and collecting. I like to think that there is a bit of ... "charm" for lack of better words, associated with being an adult who enjoys baseball & baseball cards.

The very fact that we are here in our free time on the forums discussing the sport/hobby we love so much shows that we are a bit over the top...fanatics if you will. When this comes out, "outsiders" may tend to ridicule us.

I remember when the switch was flipped for me from collecting cards to focusing exclusively on Canseco cards / memorabilia. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I set out to not be one of those guys who had posters plastered all over his walls. No disrespect at all to you folks who do it like this guy:

National Geographic Hardcore Hobbies : Andy Van Slyke
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...-cards-galore/

(Speaking of which ... check out one of his you tube videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8LdkV5Rpw8 - he's a riot! Love it.)

Anyway, slowly but surely, as I began to get more and more cool things, I just had to display them. I'm not to the point yet where it looks like I need to light candles for a shrine or anything, but I have had a few people up in my office, and the looks on their faces showed that they were in total awe and amazement. (More accurately read: They looked horrified.)

As I am slowly but surely able to adapt and better hide the crazy, (why do you have his game used socks draped on your hutch, Mouschi?) I thought it would be fun to hear what off the wall feedback everyone else had for their obsession.

If you are uncertain at being able to read the body language / faces of those whom you have blessed with the knowledge of your obsession, I've put together a chart, expressed in emojis:

I love baseball!
I collect baseball cards
I enjoy going online to read about other collections
I enjoy "showing off" my collection to others by taking pictures and putting them online, eagerly awaiting feedback from others
I ONLY collect a certain team/player, as shown by my tattoos and/or throw rug

So, what have others told you when they found out about your obsession?

Last edited by mouschi; 03-08-2016 at 09:10 AM.