View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 PM

MOUSCHI---

"So, what have others told you when they found out about your obsession?"

A family friend for over half a generation told me I was very interesting when describing the book I was writing on postwar regional / food issues. As I tell people in a nutshell what my book is about, they seem genuinely intrigued. Not that I will hit them up to buy it; never, they're not card collectors. Just yesterday, however, a non-collecting colleague at work who's a rabid Notre Dame and Chicago Bears FB and Cubs BB fan, told me he wants to buy a copy. I was honored.

Then again, for many years I've been a speaker off and on, and know how to tell a good sea story.

You have to be wise in picking your opportunities to convey to someone about your passion, and guard against boring them.

I will always remember my favorite incident in the Jerry Lewis classic, THE BELLBOY. In the scene, there's a cameo appearance by Milton Berle. He's signing autographs. A most anxious father inquires advice of Mr. Berle. I quote the dad from memory, of course.

"Oh Mr. Berle. I have a daughter. She loves to sing. She sings like a boid. Every time the neighbors come over, she sings for them. She sings all the time. Oh Mr. Berle. What should we do?"

Berle answers the father with one word, "MOVE".

I don't want to be the anxious, doting dope of a dad from THE BELLBOY.

Fail to see the correlation? A self-absorbed parent can go on and on, nauseating everyone about their child.

A collector can go on and on about their obsession, eventually nauseating all, 'cept themselves.

Moral: Become the very best tour guide you can possibly be of your own collection. Just keep an ear open to a whisper inside you warning you're being set up, and your collection scoped out.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-24-2016 at 11:38 AM.