Thread: Bryce Harper
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

There are guys in baseball who you do not want to be on line grabbing a hot dog or a beer for . . you want to be in the seat watching every at bat. And you look ahead to see if he's batting next inning in timing your bathroom break. He is one of them. Ditto Trout. Ditto Cespedes. Ditto a hand full of other guys. That to me is the test that separates a star from an excellent player. Some of the "star" guys, i.e. Darryl Strawberry, Puig, ultimately don't have the career to back it up. I said it for years and stand by it: other than his farewell tour, no one around the country was buying tickets to see Derek Jeter play. Great great team player. Came though in the clutch remarkably in the post season. HOF material. No one ever bought a ticket in Cleveland or Detroit to see him play in June. Sometimes the big stars run their mouth a little much, i.e., Harvey, but these are the guys who put fannies in the seats, as Keith Hernandez would say.

Some guy is selling a Fidyrch autograph picture over on the other board. I read the Fidrych write up on Wikipedia. Damm, what a season that was. And what amazing fun. If he was around today I guess we would need to tell him to shut the hell up. Everything he'd be doing would be to "show up" the other team or somehow mock someone.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-12-2016 at 08:32 AM.