View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post
Hey Brooklyn…that HOF "Goose" front signed was never slabbed the first time. It was just submitted to auction along with others in a complete collection at the time. PSA did not have the COA when it was presented to them….they only had the card. The owner still had the COA. They ended up paying to get the certificate into their hands for their mistake which was mutually agreed upon. The HOF plaque was then taken to JSA who honored it again as genuine the same way they did when they worked for PSA. The card was then apparently slabbed (was a new thing) and sold by a major auction house and the money was used to help put a daughter through college. There were several conference calls involved with Mr. O about this issue/problem and a lot of strong pressure put on the owner of the card by PSA to return the certificate to them so they could "perhaps destroy" it but in the end, they had to pay for their mistake. At one point nearing the conclusion of this mess, they changed their minds about payment (top two people) after it was mutually agreed to with an additional phone call only to find out that a written copy of the agreement signed by another PSA employee to pay for this mistake existed and then they ultimately changed their minds in a hurry and payment was sent. A lot of stress and sleepless nights to be sure. So there is in fact a previous similar situation that has taken place involving JSA but from the other end of the spectrum.
The card had a psa sticker which was removed, the major auction house never let on this information. I obviously must have misspoken about it being slabbed by psa, but that is obviously immaterial to the situation. The card was sold individually, not in a collection (although it could've been submitted that way) and I passed mostly because of the non-disclosure of the auction house. I don't fault the seller at all (you?) for selling it, I merely disagreed with the way the sale was handled. I have had several items I purchased from auction houses fail a tpa opinion, only to have the auction house send it in and the item pass. It's the nature of the beast...