View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 02:03 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckus99 View Post
Aaron is way over rated - all day every day!!!
His cards and his numbers. Period.

I'd take Ted Williams over him, easily.
Ted Williams is probably the greatest pure hitter the game has ever seen. So, saying you'd take Williams over Aaron doesn't make Aaron "overrated". And as a complete player, I'd take Aaron over Williams any day of the week. Superior base runner, superior fielder, equal power. Aaron won three straight Gold Gloves between 1958 and 1960. And he didn't win any more after that because the best defensive right fielder in baseball history, Roberto Clemente, won the next twelve. That being said, Williams and Aaron are two of my favorite players...ever, so I wouldn't complain as to having either.

But Aaron's numbers overrated? LOL, that's the most absurd statement I've ever seen posted on this forum. Just getting to the Major Leagues is hard. Being a good player takes a lot of work. Being a great player requires an incredible work ethic, superior athleticism and a certain amount of natural ability that cannot be taught. Aaron was a great player. He managed to play for 23 years. 3,298 games played. Nearly a quarter of a century of elite baseball. That alone should say something about his standing in the history of the game.

Hank Aaron averaged 107 runs scored, 185 hits, 31 doubles, 5 triples, 37 home runs, 113 RBI, and a .305 average per 162 games played....for twenty-three years! In 1973, while he was approaching his 40th birthday, he hit 40 home runs, and drove in 96 runs....in 392 at bats. He had a 1.045 OPS. He only won one MVP, but he finished in the top three of the MVP vote seven times.

But yeah, he was totally overrated. That's why he got 97.8% of the vote on his first shot at the Hall of Fame.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.