View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
A couple of things -- even though my CJ Marquard looks like the more traditional sig (image attached), and 2/3 of my T206 Marquards also look more traditional -- I do think the TCMA Marquards are both signed by him (however, I do not like the sig on the T205 you posted earlier).

I believe Rube often liked to sign his last name in pieces:

M - ar- qu -ard

And I believe the tail at the end of the "d" is a routine signal.

Both TCMAs have those features, albeit the "q" in the left pic looks like it may be a standalone.

The little flair to start the "M" doesn't bother me, and seems fairly common in a lot of his signatures.

The big question to me is the capital "R". I would like to see an example of a letter written by Rube where he used the capital "R" to start a sentence and see how he wrote it. The closest I came when I looked briefly was on the "P" I showed above.

Ultimately, I would obviously trust a traditional signature more than a non-traditional signature in any context. But, I would still be a strong buyer for the non-traditional signed CJ, as I'm guessing would a significant audience!
Thanks for the detailed write up Paul. See, to me, the tail finish on the "d" in Marquard is really different and another tell between the ones I am theorizing to be ghost signed and the ones I think Marquard signed. The T205 w/o the underline finish at the end is obvious of course, but the other three, (the two t206's, Michael's CJ, and the TCMA), finish the "d" at the bottom, and then flare left. To my eyes, all of the other Marquards pretty much finish the "d" at the middle, or at the top even, then flare left. Again, to my eyes they just don't look the same at all. We may have to just agree to disagree on this topic, which is okay to me, and I can appreciate your view as you must have spent considerable time looking at this signature over the years. I posted this to get others opinions because I haven't been able to move any further with the research. I have even thought about trying to contact Marquard's relatives to see if they have any writing examples of Jeannette (Jane), as that would be very helpful.

Last edited by ATP; 05-11-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: type