View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Default I think I'm about done

With in person autographs. The simple reason is that being treated rudely by an athlete in turning down a request lasts a lot longer than the joy of getting an autograph. I don't do it for money, I just do it for fun and as having a souvenir of the event. Most of the in-person, non-autograph gig scribbles you get are really hard to see the name anyway.

I did have one funny story to relate. I have cards with baseballs printed on them that I have carried around at events just in case I meet someone who I don't have a card at the ready for. I was at FanFest and there were five former members of the Women's Professional League there. Charming ladies, most in their late 80s or 90s. One took the card and said, "You're not going to sell this are you? I get cards in the mail and I am always afraid they would sell them. Of course, I told her I wouldn't and I just collect autographs for my enjoyment, but secretly I though," How much do you think you'd get for an autograph of a player form the 1940s in the all-girls league anyway?"