View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 11:26 AM

Default Sets that need more love

Rhett's work on this set was the first in depth study of the various backs that I know of as well, so I think it will take time for it to sink in and become standard to identify them as such.

The E220 National Caramel set is another that has multiple backs (three) that are not widely known and identified. I think the subtleties between backs combined with the lower collector base for these sets make them less likely to have their backs studied, or even considered to be relevant. The Neilson's V61-1 and V61-2 are sets not widely collected, however they have an advantage in that their backs are so distinct they can not be ignored.

There are even sets that have multiple versions that it seems that no one knows or gives a reservoir holding back structure about. The W573 set has three separate issues...the normal thin strip cards that are most commonly seen, the tinted green/sepia blank back ones that some might consider blank back E120's, although they often seem to be hand cut, and a thicker cardboard version that no one besides myself has ever seemed to mention that are larger in size and probably machine cut.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-18-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: knocked off a Brian and added an honorary title