View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 PM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
But...Does anyone have an idea how much time the average player puts in to his "job" to play a major sport on a weekly basis? Obviously there is more to it than just a 3-4 hour game. Part of the job includes conditioning and practice of course. There is travel involved, but some jobs will compensate you above and beyond for travel outside of a "normal" business day. What about off season?
A friend of mine worked for one of the card companies where he would go to the clubhouses and get players to sign the cards that would eventually be inserted in the card packs. and I got to be his "assistant" for a couple of days. It is kind of interesting in that we generally only see the players for the 3-5 hours of BP/Infield/Game...but the truth is some guys are at the park at 3pm for night games. It seemed to me the majority of the time is spent in various training - extra batting practice (both the A's and Giants have indoor cages), strength and conditioning stuff, and of course the training staff tending to various injuries and such.

Some just relax, listing privately to music, play cards with teammates, and yeah, I even saw a few answering fan mail.

Most players are paid every two weeks all year, just like the rest of us. However they have to do their job with thousands of people watching and rating their performance.