View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM
D@vid L@dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unamuzd1 View Post
In what seems a family-friendly way, all things considered.

Speaking of 1983, I wasn't at the national that year. I did, however, attend the one in 1986. I guess I was 13 at the time, if my maths still work. I haven't been to one since, though I'm eyeing next year.

In terms of nightmares, mine's minor. The last thing I bought at the 1986 National, from a dealer near the door, was an unopened pack of 1976 Topps. I don't remember what I paid, but it wasn't too much, and I got a Brooks Robinson out of it. Which was awesome, because Robby was a favorite player (I grew up in Arkansas, so he's a hometown boy), but less awesome because it had a surface wrinkle. I just figured, these things happen sometimes.

Then a few days later I was looking at the wrapper and saw that it had a mail-in offer on it that expired in 1974.

Realizing that there were jerks who would sell a kid a re-sealed pack is probably one of the reasons I've never prioritized going back to the National.
Have you since learned that Topps used a lot of 1974 wrappers in 1976, and that pack was most likely legitimate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk