Thread: Curious
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
as an alternative if a seller doesnt want to sell it to you at their stated rpice.... anyway thats why i dont care what SMR is as a buyer...as a seller, like i said thats different
If a seller is using SMR as a sales tactic (ex. 50% below SMR) than the seller is using SMR as his price guide. If a card(s) is higher than SMR, sure the seller can say "these cards are hot and SMR has yet to adjust). The seller could also say "good luck finding that card at that grade at book value".

There has to be a base price be it VCP, SMR, Beckett or the Farmers Almanac. Prices can vary from the base due to centering, scarcity or demand etc.

In my opinion, dealers believe that the collector knows (or has an idea) as to the prices of cards. I am sure dealers mark up cards, knowing full well that the collector will ask for a discount. Collectors know and all dealers have probably all heard "I can get that card cheaper on ebay." So, if ebay is the great discounter and auction houses are the great price accelerator, price wise what is a collector to think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Still kills me seeing those outrageous prices on those cards. I know the dealers want you to negotiate, but when I see a price that far off, I think to myself "why bother"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by curch View Post
Yeah, I know. Was actually one of the cheaper ones that I found. And it was in the grade that I wanted. I collect cards for the card, not the grade. I just think it's awesome to own a piece of history like this. I don't need 4 razor sharp corners to enjoy the beauty of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Agreed. It's a great card. No knock on the card at all. It's the dealers pricing strategies at card shows, and especially at the National, that has me shaking my head.

Last edited by Huck; 08-08-2016 at 06:49 AM.