View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've got a pretty wide range of oddities in my collection.

Printing errors get kept in their own box. Foiling can be entirely missing with no impression (Usually printers scrap, or unfinished sheets that "somehow" got out of the printing plant. Missing with the impression - went through the foiling machine, but the foil either wasn't there, or wasn't on its backing paper. Partly missing - the backing paper got stamped, foil went on a card, next one comes along and the foiling paper hasn't advanced enough so it only gets some foil can look pretty weird.

Variations - I keep stuff I know isn't a trivial error, but is a repeated thing that was on the plate. Some of these are very trivial, but they are different.
Bigger stuff, but hardly ever cataloged by anyone. 88 Score with 3 different die cuts, 93 Upper deck with three different gloss patterns, 89 Donruss with different gloss or not, 91 Topps with the several different backs....that sort of thing.

Plus the listed ones that I can find. Like the 79 Wills.

There's a few that don't readily fit a category. Like black diamond one year they messed up the plates and made a bunch of wrong backs. They're variations, but appear to be printing errors.

Basically, if it's weird enough it gets saved.

Steve B