View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
I applied too, and was rejected. I had a lot of '50's dupes I didn't want to sell and was happy to give away, but I never made it in.
Anthony, I don't recall the circumstances of why you were turned down. Is it possible that you didn't have three recommendations from OBC members? That's one key requirement of our application process, even if you just wanted to give your cards away; and in order to get three recommendations from guys you'd never dealt with before, or who didn't know you, we usually advise that you make a small trade (nothing major) with members in order to build up that rapport. But if the recommendations weren't there, then the Advisory Council members can't vote on membership. that's usually the biggest hangup when someone applies - they need to have three recommendations.

See my reply to Al, but let me also explain here to anyone reading that, other than a dealer with a bad attitude, I don't remember us flat-out rejecting someone. What usually happens is the scenario I described above: someone will apply & not have three recommendations because they've don't know any of the guys in the group. When I explain that they should reach out to a few members and make a very minor trade, in order to build rapport & thus get recommendations, many times they never respond to me & never reach out to get the recommendations; the 3 recommendations are a required part of the application process. We've left applications up on our site for months a time waiting for applicants to finish up but eventually we will remove the application - but I do usually try to reach out & get the applicant moving.

I can recall few guys who applied, but when I explained that we don't have EX-MT cards to send out - or even that we really aren't a traditional trading group, they decided OBC wasn't the best fit and withdrew.

We're always happy to receive applications for membership, and the guys here on Net54 (especially Leon) have been very supportive of us.

PS I'm the New Member coordinator for OBC, so if you apply, the first e-mail you'll get will be from me ;-)

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club. www.oldbaseball.com