View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Bill Gregory

I don't argue that there were an awful lot of great players in the game back then. It wasn't an easy choice for me, and that would probably be my second selection. But the personal connection to the great Milwaukee Braves teams of the mid to late 50s is something that isn't present in the dead ball era. They were the third best team in the game behind the Yankees and Dodgers. For me, that became the tie breaker. I also think the game in the 50s was more open, having players from the Negro Leagues finally being allowed to enter the Majors.

From a sheer talent perspective, I don't know if I could choose one over the other. So, sentiment made the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Cobb, Wagner, Speaker, Lajoie, Collins, Jackson, Young, Johnson, Mathewson, Alexander, Plank. Plus Ruth as a pitcher. Hard to top THAT.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.