View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 03:00 PM
ThreadKiller

unlike other sports, while a #1 quarterback or a franchise-changing basketball player MAY be available w/the top pick, baseball is different - how many top picks have flamed out either in the minors or at the ML level?? - too many to mention (or even research) to prove my personal viewpoint...

but YES, I've actually not given a sh!t whether or not my personal favorite team finished at THE very bottom, or close to it, at the end of the season IF the season is already in the sh!tter when over.

a crappy season is a crappy season, and - "wait 'til next year" is MY way of looking at it, even if that's only a worthless example of positive thinking.

P.S. - the Braves had so many positive/great years that I cannot feel TOO bad for their current lack of quality showings - how many teams would sell their collective souls to the devil to replicate that amazing stretch of division titles the Braves enjoyed for so many years in the Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine/Jones/Justice era???

okay, so they only captured one (1) WS title, but I can see many teams wishing for their (Atlanta's) success for such a long time...

look at the long-suffering Red Sox who finally got their sh!t together in the past 10-15 years, the Giants who sucked for so many seasons, or even the Cubbies with their century+ of futility, and I'm certain they'd definitely trade their crappy years for even a legitimate shot at a legitimate - if not perennial - postseason appearance!

hell, I'm a Phillies fan at heart, and while they had a few good years in the Charlie Manuel days (look it up) they've been horsesh!t since them, and IMO even a handful of worst-record #1 picks are incapable of resurrecting the franchise.

while there' been a few possible exceptions (Strasburg?) of high-draft picks that have panned out, there's been more (#25 pick Mike Trout) or Mike Piazza (62nd round, and a favor to Tommy Lasorda) that have been infinitely more remarkable than acquiring a #1...

JMO, of course, and while I admire your passion for your team, sucking for a year and picking up a #1 ain't all that it's necessarily cracked up to be.

DS