View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Nick - between the dismantling of the Frank Wren collection via trades for promising prospects and reorganizing of the farm system, better days are coming.

At this point, I would not worry about not getting the number one pick...that doesn't matter as much in Baseball as it does in other sports because there are very few Jr. Griffeys and Bryce Harpers. Teams do just as well in the draft with later picks...it is a very imperfect science.

While I have winced at some of the trades the Braves made, the current results of those trades and their associated follow-up transactions look really good.

...and since I have been an Atlanta Braves fan from day one in 1966, and have lived through all those 'lean' years before 1991, I can say without hesitation that I have never, ever rooted for the Braves to loose.
I've been a fan since the late 70's (when they were awful) and this is the first time I've rooted for them to lose. The business of the game now means that any extra bonus pool $$$ has a value of nearly ten times it' face value. So, I'm less interested in the quality of the #1 vs the #3 draft pick as I am the extra $3m getting the #1 pick grants you in bonus money. That means you can take 2 guyd with higher bonus demands later on that other teams have passed on due to signability. Thats why I think losing 100 games is worth it.