View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Could be, but some crazy stuff happens on Ebay because it's so accessible.

The guy who owns the bike shop I work at on occasion came in a couple times with bikes that either weren't in good shape, or weren't things he usually wanted. When I teased him about one, he said it was the result of "drunk bidding at 3 AM" Basically was on ebay after drinking, saw that bike and threw a nonsense bid on it. He didn't notice it ended about an hour later, and woke up to find he'd won it.

And when I was selling I had a bunch of $1 cards sell to the same buyer. After I think 3 days I sent a gentle reminder email. A couple days go by and I get a reply. Supposedly from the buyers girlfriend. Apparently he wasn't entirely clear about how it worked and bid on close to 1500 items, all in the $1-2 range. And won just over 1000 of them. She said his take home income was around $250 a week, and that he intended to pay for everything but it would take some time. I said to just pay whenever, the total was maybe $6 and if I was desperate for that little I was pretty much SOL myself. Oddly the check came in about a week and a half. I've always supposed they paid the more relaxed sellers first.

All in all, Ebay is really weird at times.

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 09-20-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: fixed typo