View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Larry S ( sflyank) has raised this question before. Given the increase in his Topps base cards reflected in the article and in particular his 52 card which is certainly not hard to find, why has there not seemed to be a similar jump in his rare or scarce Topps items that would be on the list of any master Mantle collector...such as Topps 61 Dice, 63 Mask, 66 or 67 Punch Outs, 67 of 68 Discs , or 67 Stand Up. All of these would fetch a high price but probably no where near a top notch 52 card

I get that odd ball items are not as well known in general and so demand is less, but Mantle collectors surely know about them and getting some of those items is next to impossible. Just a matter of curiosity to me.

These things do not come up often and given the current Mantle market if they did maybe the prices would be significantly higher than in the past
The 63 Mask probably isn't a Topps product, but, the few that I have seen for sale over the last year or two seem to have brought a decent price, despite being poorly listed on eBay and despite red flags.

The others don't trade hands enough, in my opinion, for us to really get a fair look at the price. How could they when you and Larry own basically everything that exists? That said, I don't think they get as much respect given their lack of appeal to the less informed collectors. The Master Set guys "need everything" and have resigned themselves to never being able to pick those up either because you have them all or because of the price, and they don't have the same appeal to the non-collectors with the massive bankrolls that just want that one trophy item. If I should a Dice Game card to a non-collector, he would say, "that's kind of boring looking." Every non-collector that was a kid in the 80s is excited when they see a 1952 Topps though.