View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 09:32 PM

Aside from any of the Conlon cards, the two 3-Ds, and the 1961 Golden Press Hall-of-Fame previously mentioned, I would heartily recommend the National Convention VIP "giveaways" that were PSA-encapsulated and serial-numbered --- / 500. The first year they did this, 2014, was a celebration of the 1914-15 Cracker Jack promotion. Offered was an "over-the-top" fantasy 1915 Cracker Jack Babe Ruth. I enjoy a good fantasy, and this was more than good.

The following year, the same firm produced a tribute extension set to the 1934-36 Diamond Stars, with two different Babe Ruths, one as a Yankee and the other as a Boston Brave. I own the one depicting him as a Yank--very impressive. Again, each of these were also encapsulated and serial-numbered to 500 by PSA. Perhaps 500 sounds as if that's a lot. Well, think again, a lot of collectors rather liked these Ruth cards. As an expensive "free-bee", it made for a nice souvenir of the event, and hence, a "keepsake".

Finally, in 2010, the Topps Heritage set was a homage to the admirable 1961 Topps standard issue. There were three noteworthy short-prints, and among them was Babe Ruth. The card was a beautiful colorized full-body portrait of him sitting cross-legged on the ground, looking right into your eyes. I've seen the original photo from whence it is based. It was a shot of the Babe and Lou Gehrig, taken about 1929.

I'm sure there's a few other good ones.

Post-career cards seldom appreciate monetarily. I believe these are exceptions. They will never be worth a week's wages, but they will provide some significant eye candy and fulfillment at a hair fraction of the price of an original period Babe Ruth. Besides, one significant trait the cards I mention and the others already mentioned (aside from the repulsive Topps Who Am I? junk, which I am rest assured that Al included, tongue in cheek) is the fact they are visually attractive Ruth cards. The same unfortunately cannot be said for many of his period cards, which is a shame. Al included the beautiful 1951 Connie Mack All-Star, one of Babe's best cards, but that one will cost you a hunk.

I wish Topps would issue a new "tall boy" homage to their 1951 Topps All-Star series, with famous all-stars done precisely as the Connie Mack and Current All-Stars. Let's see, they should do Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Jackie Robinson, Henry Aaron, Ernie Banks, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Sandy Koufax ....

Thought of some more good modern Ruths. Some years ago, Topps reprinted a couple renown beauties---his 1914 Baltimore News and 1929 U. S. Caramel. Nicely done reprints, and they are dirt cheap.

Nuf' said. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-03-2016 at 04:03 PM.