View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Card Shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I live near Detroit and there are 2 monthly shows in the area that have been around a long time. I try to hit each one once or twice a year. Each show has at least 50 tables. Of the 50 tables I'm lucky to find 2 with anything pre-war........Is this is common in other parts of the country? Is the demand for really old stuff so low that it just isn't worth it for these dealers? Does the pre-war crowd just not stoop so low as to attend or set up at a show anymore?!

I just find it hard to believe in Detroit (once the hotbed of card shows in the whole country) that you can't walk into a show and find anything with Charlie Gehringer, Hank Greenberg or Ty Cobb.
Agreed kind of sad that the metro Detroit area went from having quite a few shows to not many. I have found that the larger card shows tend to attract the main stream modern collectors looking for the 1 of 1's. However, at the shows at the malls - the smaller dealers come out and bring vintage since they don't have as much inventory of the shiny new stuff. That being said I buy most of my vintage online via auction or other sites due to availability and pricing.

Z