View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
My Mile High winnings finally came in today. I've attached pics of the front and back of the 1953 Stahl-Meyer. It is a beautiful card. It has a slight surface crease on the front running from the edge almost straight down through the "Y" and curving a little bit to the corner of Mick's right eye. It's only noticeable when held just so. I guess I've stared at it enough already that I don't even notice it anymore.
Mike, what a once "free prize"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the gorgeous scan you provided us, your Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle looks even better than it did on Mile High's web site during the auction. The rich tinted colors, the appearance, the peaceful happy portrait of Mickey, that Mantle is one mesmerizing gem!

Well done, mate.

The creasing you referenced is not visible to my eyes, as on many of the frankfurter package Stahlies, where the creasing is sometimes severe enough to break open the top layer of the picture.

Interesting. You and Dave made reference to your gem as a highlight of one's collection. I will always remember an old SCD Mr. Mint Alan Rosen phone auction back in 1988. He was offering a world class Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle, and he wrote, "A super Mantle collectible and to be the highlight of any Mantle collection." And this coming from the dealer who had purchased a couple years beforehand the monumental 1952 Topps high number and semi-high number case. The phrasing struck a chord with me, as it did not strike me as typical dealer spiel, though the write-up was succinct. By the late 80s, I was well aware of the vaunted Stahl-Meyers, but had no idea someone as esteemed as Mr. Mint regarded them so highly. True, the Mint Man had his legions of enemies, but the guy knew his cardborad very well. From the mid-80s on, I used to look at every page of those half-inch thick issues of SCD for the tougher regionals. Mostly crumb bums that were much worse than your respectable gem, Mike. This was a time when finds were happening frequently; STILL few Stahl-Meyer Franks came into the hobby!

In essence, there are lots and lots of different Mickey Mantles. Then, we have the Stahl-Meyer Franks.

So Mike, what were your thoughts when you got to hold it in your hand and stare at it for the first time?

Thanks for sharing your joy with us.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-11-2016 at 06:00 PM.