View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 03:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Thanks Scott, my memory is not what it used to be.
My Pleasure. I found a litho with the same building in centerfield, but which otherwise looked nothing like this print. It was described as a game between Brooklyn and Cincinnati in 1870. I believe the 'Fashions' print was based on the same game, but the players added to it (other than the 'A' and 'C' players) had nothing to do with the rest of the image but were added ('C' and 'A' uniforms changed to blue uniforms) to illustrate other types of baseball uniforms.

This makes the 'folk art' painting sort of curious. Someone who knows more about the 'Union Grounds' could probably compare the painting to the print and determine which came first. My own opinion is that the print came first, as the players look very relaxed and natural, whereas the middle guy in the painting looks like he is floating in air, and the players in the painting do not look like they are a natural distance from one another. I'm guessing the litho artist created an all-'Cincinnati/Brooklyn' version first, then modified some of the uniforms for the 'Fashion' litho.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-19-2016 at 03:08 PM.