Thread: Ridiculous
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Andy, do you believe WAR one of the direct determinants of this card's value, as opposed to simply that Trout is currently considered the god of active baseball players?

I think it's very cool that you and Brent have your fingers on the pulse of the modern card market - I have no feel for it. With vintage cards, I know my Babe Ruth card may go up or down in value, but it won't be because he started playing poorly, got busted in a drug test or got traded to the Mariners.
And that's just it for cards of guys who haven't finished a career, even with tremendous early numbers.

Reminds me of a few years back selling at a flea market. One of the handful of cards I wouldn't budge on price was a signature rookies Derek Jeter signed card. It booked $30 at the time, and that's what I wanted. (It was near NY, so not that crazy)
One guy lowballed at $10 and said it wasn't worth 30..... So I asked him where he thought it would be after they won a few more series. He replied with "and where will it be if he blows out a knee" I told him that if that happened he could come back the next year and I'd be happy to sell it for 10 but for now it was still 30 (After a few years I eventually sold it on Ebay for I think 80. )
If the Trout card was mine, I don't think I'd be holding too firm at 500K, I'd be very happy to "settle" for the 100-200K someone mentioned. I'd pay off the house, Invest some and all my collections would get a whole lot better.

Steve B