Thread: Ridiculous
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Andy, do you believe WAR one of the direct determinants of this card's value, as opposed to simply that Trout is currently considered the god of active baseball players?

I think it's very cool that you and Brent have your fingers on the pulse of the modern card market - I have no feel for it. With vintage cards, I know my Babe Ruth card may go up or down in value, but it won't be because he started playing poorly, got busted in a drug test or got traded to the Mariners.
Again I don't think this card is priced at its value. I have only theories as to the pricing. One theory is that the seller just wanted to field offers. The other is that they are a fan and like a few other people (me included at times) uses ebay to show it off without any intent on selling, but if it was going to sell it would take someone willing to put up the crazy money.

As far as WAR or any sabrmatrics having an affect on the modern market, it is possible. Topps has started putting these stats on the cards so these are the stats people are now looking at.

All that aside though, my only point of bringing up his stats is that I saw that he was being called the "it guy". As a cynical person, myself, I had to finally admit that he truly is more than just a fad. It has been only 6 years, but really only 5 years if you think his first year was only 40 games and he is doing stuff we haven't seen since Pujols and I merely was pointing out that there is some merit to believe he could even be better. Again this does not mean I am defending a $500k price tag, but I also don't believe this will ever be a $40 (or sub $1000) card anymore than I think a 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols Auto will be.