View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Remember the old ads in TV Guide that asked you to sketch and submit a cartoon drawing? The "winner" would get discounted art lessons or something. Well I think that's how the Ad Flag Pennant Company hired their artists. I have some Ad Flags in my collection and they are universally just ugly-a** pennants. Look at this Brooklyn Dodgers pennant. I have to have it, I am a collector and it is Brooklyn after all. But the guy looks less like a bum and more like a sex offender. And why the huge claw-like hand? This Phillies "quaker" pennant started giving me the creeps so I took it down, I might have to bury it in the backyard before it gives me bad dreams. And what is he stepping on ... is that a base or a box of Tastykakes?

On top of the bad art, they were often poorly cut (crooked, as with scissors) and the old-style designs have confused many collectors, as evident by this discussion ... I'm guessing these weren't sold in the ballparks but instead in the parking lots or back alleys.
Here's one that defies logic. It is unquestionably vintage and "of the era"...

The font saying "Brooklyn" and "Dodgers" is identical to Ad Flag's "Sex Offender" Bum. Same for the font saying "Da Bums". But instead of showing the creepy sex offender mascot, it has a magnificent depiction of the Willard Mullin Bum inside of Ebbets Field.

I always considered these Stadium versions to be of a higher caliber, in terms of their graphics and quality. So how could this "hybrid" pennant even exist?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bums.jpg (45.8 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Bums 2.jpg (40.9 KB, 268 views)