View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 03:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
well not talking a specifically about a card but sites do give a 'sell/sold' price right after the auction.....not everyone pays on their wins yet I never seen an auction house erase a 'sell/sold' price...Plus in theory, the card was actually sold, meaning there was a legal obligation from the buyer to pay for it, but in real life that doesnt mean much if they didnt actually pay and you arent going to collect. You can get a judgment as well against a homeless person for million dollars but again it doesnt mean anything if you cant collect but yes, you do have a million dollar judgment. Same thing as 'selling' a koufax rookie for 100k at auction, but not collecting, you can still say it 'sold for 100k' . There are probably some people that may not pay for an item but actually the type of people you can collect from as well on their legal obligation.

I'm assuming 1/100 times you may see a 'sell/sold' card that never was paid for relisted with the same auction but i dont remember REA/mile high/goodwin ever doing that the last few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Again, not exactly, so what if the auction house sued the person that was the high bidder and got a judgment for 100k on a mantle plus the buyers premium (20k) for a total of 120k because they proved they legitimately sold the card for 120k. That would mean in a court of law they proved a sale of 120k. The card didnt change hands yet because it was not paid for. I not saying that was the case in whatever example we were talking about, but showing there are situations that if the card didnt change hands it can still be said it 'sold' without it being an outright lie.

It not worth auction houses to sue on every case but again a legal obligation was created to pay.

People 'sell' houses all the time especially in 2008 and the buyer with no real ability to pay got a ridiculous mortgage to buy the house way above perceived market price. To the property tax appraiser and the 'market' the house sold for what the buyer was 'obligated' to pay even if later the house goes into foreclosure because that buyer never paid for the house. Even though the house was never paid (lets say 2 years were paid on a 30 year mortgage) the 'sold' price is what that buyer paid with that mortgage .
Comparing house to cards is not comparing apples to apples. It is very rare we hear of a house being sold only to find out people did not or will not pay for it.

Real estate has signatures, meeting people/agents face to face, home inspections, the list goes on and on. Cards, on the other hand, especially those being sold through auctions like E-Bay or actual A/H's, don't have that luxury. Most in the card biz know that shilling and bid retractions, to name a couple, exist all the time and if either one says they're surprised, they are also lying.

Again, listing a card as being sold for $80,000 when no money exchanged hands, and the fact they probably knew by then the bid was retracted, or whatever the case is, like I said, is outright deceptive and nothing but a lie.