View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
New England had some great shows in the 80's---Bishop Guertin High School in Nashua, NH was the leader in the early 80's--The Greater Boston Card Club in mid 80's and Walter Hall in the 80's in Boston---they used to be 2-3 deep at tables in those days---In 1988, at Portland, Maine, we had Roger Clemens signing for $10 a auto with 4000 people at the show. Old Timer Bob Thing was always at these shows.---Times have changed!!
Yep. Arlington, Ma where Halls shop was had 2 maybe three shops that had cards by 1981. And at least one 5+10 that stocked lots of current cards.

That last one was sort of my fault. I asked a friend of mine whose dad owned the 5+10 if he could get me a deal on a box of Donruss. They said they'd have to buy something like 10 boxes, and I said I'd buy two. My friend talked up my then fairly small collection and they bought some boxes. About a week later I stopped in and they had all three brands! And better still they'd sold something like 6 cases that week at full retail and had sold a box or two at above retail. So they gave me the one box for free.

Steve B