View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Rick Haskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Wondering if anyone has any information on this Steelers pennant? It's not particularly rare but it's curious to me because it has "Championship - American Conference" on it. The graphic is an old style and Egner's book places it in the 1950's. The Steelers were in the NFL's old American Conference from 1950-52 but never played in even a playoff game during this time. Conference's didnt have championship games back then anyway. They were just called playoffs with the championship pitting the winner from the respective conferences.

Of course, the Steelers played in many American Conference Championship games in the 70's but this pennant obviously isn't from that time period.

[IMG][/IMG]
After I posted this, I noticed it was mentioned already, but anyway,..

This is a pennant from the 1972 playoff game against the Dolphins.
I own both pennants; the Dolphin one is much rarer to find but has the same printing. Evidently the AdFlag company (out of Chicago at the time, now long extinct) made these with less attention to historical accruacy than to dramatic effects. Such were the times. The crackdown by the NFL and MLB on 'bootlegs' like these was making their days more and more numbered.

I would love to find any historical documentation on the AdFlag company. Anyone who has links to it from the internet, please share, anytime -

Last edited by ricardoh; 03-01-2017 at 01:44 PM.