View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Jonathan

Default 19th C. Baseball Puzzle/Game

Just recently returned from SABR's 19th C. Research Conference in Cooperstown and promptly found myself lucky enough to be in a position to add this very interesting baseball game/puzzle.

The item itself is known as a dexterity puzzle and something that all of us are surely familiar with...the concept being that all balls rolling around inside the frame need to be maneuvered and positioned in each of the spaces on the game board.

What makes this particular example so very interesting and appealing to me is the size and the subject matter.

The game piece is 3" long and 2" wide, includes 10 small, clay balls, a flawless glass pane, and reflects what, to me, is clearly a 19th C. baseball field layout.

It depicts a square (diamond) shaped home plate that rests completely in fair ground, and distinct pitchers box rather than a mound, and a spot where the umpire would stand to the rear right of the catcher. Given these factors, I suspect the game is a product of the late 1870s - mid 1880s.

I've never seen such an item and am curious whether or not any of you 19th C. or baseball game collectors have come across one of know of one?

I've attached pics of the game from the front, the front with some of the balls in play, a lateral view (lots of patina on this piece), and one of the reverse of the piece. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puzzle 1.jpg (75.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Puzzle 2.jpg (69.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Puzzle 3.jpg (73.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Puzzle 4.jpg (71.1 KB, 195 views)