View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 11:13 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Only point I was making was that while Elvis was a huge act (the biggest probably), I can understand why his memorabilia has fallen off a cliff. I don't think his musical has held up for new generations of music fans. Some rare performers, the Beatles for example, will always convert new generations. Go to a McCartney show and watch 10 year singing every song. Doesn't mean they are better or worse. But they continue to resonate. James Dean continues to be know today despite a very limited career. 1000000s of better actors have lapsed into obscurity.
When you talk about resonating and icons like James Dean you are talking more about their cult of personality than anything that their work might show.

And I am not sure where you see Elvis memorabilia values falling off a cliff. Admittedly I don't follow Elvis memorabilia. Our paths cross only with regard to autographs and movie posters. And these have not dropped measurably in price.

As to the resonance of Elvis' music, there are parts of the country where it remains very popular. In those same areas the music of The Beatles likely seems to not resonate anymore. Just a matter of perspective.

From my perspective, in the collecting areas where I see Elvis items, I do not see what you seem to see.

Tom C