View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsst206 View Post
Hi Network Family,
I rarely post but thought i needed to point out this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-S74-Sil...IAAOSww5hZN1l3
If you are silk collector like I am. There is no need to purchase a graded silk. If buying from the web or EBAY you just need a good set of eyes. But how the grading coming could grade this a 5 with half the silk missing is beyond me.
To actually pay and have it graded is beyond me. Just a little rant from a guy who loves silks but can't believe how bad the grading companies are on silks. If you are collecting colored ones just make sure the factory number is on the top of the silk and brand is on the bottom.

best regards
Ron
Couldn't agree more. Not sure if that is why PSA doesn't even try to grade them and basically leaves it to SGC and Beckett (does Beckett even still grade them?). They certainly don't/shouldn't follow the same grading standards for silks as they do for regular cards, especially since they are made of a satin like material and not cardboard. And what about the fact that all the white version silks with advertising backs still attached are downgraded because they have a fold in them. They were folded over and packaged that way so they virtually all have a crease/fold in them. And then the colored version silks that get downgraded because they have creases/folds in them.....ever hear of an iron. They're material for God's sake, you can just iron out the creases if you want. Or would that be considered as an unacceptable alteration by some collectors?

And have you ever seen anyone even try to produce a counterfeit silk? Not even sure it is possible, and certainly not worth the trouble based on the relatively low value afforded to silks still. So you don't even need the grading to assure authenticity. Again, couldn't agree more.

BobC