View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Marc

Looking over the Brockelman results, it is interesting to see what seem to be "common" cards selling for $300 to $550. I figured that the Arellanes would be expensive, but not quite that high. I see that the Baker and McAvoy also went for much more that what I would expect for a common/non-star.

Is the Baum card also tough? Or did it just sell well because he is a better-known PCL player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Arellanes isn't definitely one of the tougher 1912's but not one of the absolute toughest. I still need him and I tried for that one but ended up focusing one the other two really tough ones and was able to pick up the Baker (vertical) and the McAvoy. That was the first McAvoy I had ever seen available. That was the one I wanted, i wasn't sure how high I would have to go there so I bowed out on the higher graded Arellanes just in case I needed to go a lot higher on those other two. I also upgraded a few others. Overall the prices as stated were a bit weaker than I thought, had the auction ended all at once I would have bid on more but i ended up in a bidding war that lasted a while on the two I really wanted and that prevented me from overdoing it on a few others I would have happily bid on at the next few increments. Another tough one that slipped through the cracks was the Fitzgerald (I was able to upgrade my copy a little), overall it was a fun and rare opportunity to pick up some great looking cards, the 1912's have long been one of my 2-3 favorite Zeenut series (I love those action photos so much more than the studio shots of 1911, although I admit that the 1911's are simply a beautiful set!)