View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Career Cy Young awards: Halladay 2, Nolan Ryan 0.

Not a reliable basis for comparison to be sure as even Pete Vukovich won more Cy Youngs than Nolan Ryan, but still wroth mentioning. Ryan was good for a very long time but never the best. Halladay was the best but for a shorter time.

I'm personally of the view that it makes no sense for the HOF to overvalue longevity over dominance. There are tons of guys in the 2,000 hit club who were way better at their peak than guys in the 3,000 hit club (and other clubs) but aren't in the Hall.
Yawn...
This is not a new argument, but Ryan was also the victim of playing for 2 teams that didn't score runs (Angels, Astros) for 18 years.
I know because I had to endure the indignity of being a season ticket holder with the Angels for 8 years during the 1970's and watch this play out on a daily basis...
Believe me, he dominated the opposing hitters. His teammates just didn't score runs to reward him with wins the majority of time.

BTW, Nolan was robbed of a Cy Young award in 1973 and 1977.
Take a look again. He just happened to not play for a major market team that wasn't followed as much as others...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan 5,000th K original color photo.jpg (56.6 KB, 287 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-13-2017 at 07:41 PM.