View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I came here to praise Roy Halladay, not to bury Nolan Ryan, but I think when people just look at the strikeouts and no-hitters and can't figure out why anyone would say Ryan was not one of the greatest pitchers of all-time, they aren't considering that getting out is the modal/default outcome when a batter steps up to the plate, so issuing a walk is a very bad thing for a pitcher to do (case in point, the 2017 World Series) but striking a batter out is only a moderately good thing to do (if your goal is to win games).
We must not have been watching the same World Series. I never knew that Clayton Kershaw walking Marwin Gonzalez and Evan Gattis to get to a weaker hitter and the third out was a bad thing. I watch a lot of Baseball and I see pitchers pitch around good hitters or walk guys to set up a double play all the time. That is how I was taught to play the game, who knew we were all wrong?

I always thought the pitcher's job was to prevent runs. Isn't the winner of the game the one that scores the most runs and not the one that gets the most base runners. Nolan Ryan had a career ERA of 3.19 over 5386 innings. I don't see how anyone could rate another pitcher above him when they have a much higher ERA in a lot fewer innings.