View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 AM
Phil Garry

Nice to see some new blood entering this segment of the hobby. At the same time, sad to hear, Derek, that you are letting go of all your Negro League team items, you had some really good stuff there.

When I was still doing the Hall of Fame Rookies collection, I actually took the opposite position when it came to looking for the ultra-scarce Negro League guys. I saw the Negro/Cuban/Puerto Rican team photo/postcard collectibles as an opportunity to fill multiple holes in my Hall of Fame collection with one purchase. As someone who had some disposable money to spend, but far from unlimited resources, this provided a solution for me to eventually reach my goal of having a career-contemporary item for every single member of the BB HOF. While I never quite reached the ultimate Rookie Card for each, I had some pretty early stuff as many of you know.

In my opinion, the team items still provide a great investment opportunity today with potentially multiple HOF'ers as well as the possibility of a big payoff in 2020 when it is believed that another group of Negro Leaguers could be enshrined in Cooperstown. Imagine, you have an early 1920's team photo with Dihigo, Torriente & Pop Lloyd and now, in 2020, Cannonball Redding is elected to the HOF and he's included in your team photo as well. Can you see some pretty significant immediate appreciation in value there?

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-27-2018 at 09:09 AM.