Thread: Rea
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You should focus on card shows to buy. You won't get shilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariushou View Post
Look, i may be a bit slow, but I don't understand why an auction house would NOT specify an end time and/or not allow snipes, other than to maximize price. I get it from a business perspective (on the surface at least), but I think that line of thinking is shortsighted. In my opinion, REA’s auction format will realize less than the maximum prices for certain individual items chased by a few people and in the long run hurt the auction house as a whole.

By not having an end time to an auction, it allows your bid to be shilled. Everyone hates to say it, but it does happen. Some people say just bid what you want to pay and don’t think about it. However, some people, including myself, have disposable income, but do not want to be cheated out of our hard-earned money. The fact that I can be shilled in this format puts a real bad taste in my mouth and I’m having a real tough time with it because there are some items that I hardly ever see, but I just refuse to be taken advantage of (unless I know it). That’s right. I don’t mind overpaying…but being cheated to overpaying…that’s a whole other matter in my opinion. Call it Texas Pride or whatever you call it where you are from. It’s why I don’t bid on a lot of ebay auctions or other auction houses. It sucks, but I’m completely fine with not having that card I always wanted if it means that the price I end up paying was influenced by an unknown and unwanted variable. I waited for years to get a 1980 Topps coin, but I recently was lucky enough to purchase a 1980 Topps coin (one on ebay -- buy it now)…I likely overpaid, but I can live with it because I decided what to pay and not some shill bidder.

Not having snipes is the other thing that I don’t like. At least I don’t know how to snipe the auctions….maybe I can pay someone to write a program…ugh the time and hassle. Why not allow it? I guess I’m fine with not having snipes, but only if the auctions were staggered with real end times. But since they are not, it forces me to face my first issue. Leaving a bid out there that can be shilled.

I’m really struggling with this one as there are a lot of items that I would like to bid on, but finding it hard to put myself out there to be screwed. Anyhow, that’s how I feel and just to be crystal clear, I am in no way saying REA is shilling their auctions or doing anything underhanded. I just happen to think the current format lends itself to abuse and I cannot get comfortable with it. The items in their auction are truly incredible and wish I could partake.