View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Seth

Default 1897 Norfolk Jewels cabinets

Hi guys,

I was very excited to nab these two beautiful cabinets of Wentz and Nie from REA. The Norfolk Jewels were a short-lived member of the (also short-lived) Atlantic League for two seasons from 1897-98. Along with other teams of the ex-Virginia League, Norfolk was a southern outpost in the Atlantic league, which largely replaced the Pennsylvania League and included several teams from the northern state--including the Philadelphia A's for a few brief years. While this was class B ball, that means that the Norfolk Jewels played against a bunch of future major leaguers. I collect cards from southern leagues, so finding these great images of 19th century Virginia League players is a real treat.

What makes this more interesting is that I was also able to find other, identical cabinets from Norfolk by the studio B.S. Campbell that year. In 2015, identical cabinets of Secrist and Clausen (these don't belong to me) were auctioned off.

And I was also able to find a fifth in the series, of Snyder, depicted in the book by Shampoe et al. "Baseball in Norfolk" p. 12. Here it is on google books.

On p. 13 (the next page) of the same book, the photo of Gillroy looks like it comes from a sixth, similar cabinet. Both of those cabinets are said to be in the collection of the book's author. Also on that page is a team photo now in the HOF said to be taken in the same photo studio that year.

As far as I can tell, all portrait cabinets have ink notation of the players' name on the front in identical handwriting. I don't know how to date the handwriting, but it's fountain pen, so perhaps it's period? In any case, it would appear that my two cabinets belong to a larger (full team?) series of Norfolk players taken that year.

Has anyone seen others in this series, or have any more insight on these cabinets, the photo studio, or the team? I'd be happy for any info!

-Seth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_49053_1.jpg (72.2 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg item_49053_2.jpg (78.7 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by sgbernard; 05-09-2018 at 05:19 PM.