View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Steve

Just some new info for this great thread following the Spring 2018 REA auction. Brian's note is well-written, so I'll quote him so as not to leave out information. (I asked before sharing these details.) This is exciting stuff! I don't have the card in-hand yet, so these are the scans from REA.

Spoke to the consignor of the Red Cross. He believes he got this card in the late 1960s! He is in his 80s now, but he's very sharp and he's been at this for a long time. His recollection is that he used to set up at a flea market in NJ when a guy came to his booth and said he had old cigarette cards. Our consignor told him that he was interested, so the guy said next time the flea market happened, he'd stop by. Our consignor wrote him off but sure enough he came back the next month with a cigar box full of cards. There were dozens of T207s, various other baseball cards, and hundreds of nonsport birds cards he recalled. He paid $25 which he said was a strong price. The T207s formed the basis of his complete set, and he never gave much thought to the Red Cross other than that it was different than all the Recruits he had. He is confident that it was the 1960s because he moved to a different area in 1972.

We submitted the card for grading on his behalf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_49575_1.jpg (76.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg item_49575_2.jpg (75.5 KB, 208 views)