View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Barry (hi Barry) and I were talking about this very subject recently. Hobbyist's are becoming more savvy. Just because a TPG says a card is a technical grade doesn't mean it is the best quality or has the best eye appeal, only that it meets the technical criteria for that grade. I almost never buy higher graded cards because I can almost always find a better looking one in a lower grade (cheaper to buy) holder. The registry might actually help us other collectors in that respect. Because those collectors need the point higher more than great looking cards.

As to the subject of another sticker? It's not a big deal to me. It is no more than another point of view on condition where I am the final arbiter for my collection, not anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
They need to give little stars or certificates for making certain bids on their items. That would certainly stimulate bidding even further, from those who need extra third-party validation and a pat on the head... Maybe a little dunce cap logo or something.

That said, a system that in effect overrides PSA grades certainly has some philosophical validity; PSA grades are pretty tragic and too often don't reflect eye appeal whatsoever. It seems every time I search for cards, I find cards in PSA X grade that are thrown beatings by cards a full grade lower.

The dumpster fire is due in part to PSA's changing standards over time. We have cards in slabs from many years ago that look horrid, and much better looking cards graded today can't get the same grade.

End result is more onus on the end buyer/collector to issue the final and most important grade with our wallets.

Last edited by Leon; 06-02-2018 at 08:29 AM.