View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks guys.

Although there were other papers in Grand Rapids at the time that may show advertising for the cards, there was still only one store, so presumably one set a day for the last ten days of June was the deal. The date is puzzling, because Herpolsheimers is one of the three confirmed sets that starts with 20 low-number cards aligned with m101-5, and also because it has the rare Oscar Stanage portrait-to-waist pose that was later corrected. Thus I assumed that Herpolsheimers was among the earliest of the m101-4 sets, but a June 21 commencement date is the latest start known for m101-4 sets other than The Sporting News. This is another example of how the more I know, the less I understand. Incidentally, there were no further ads for the cards any of the ensuing nine days, plus I already had looked at many back to April and some into July. While the other papers may have carried different ads, those in the morning Herald were pretty extensive and appeared regularly, so there may not be a whole lot else out there advertising these cards. Maybe someone else will have better luck in searching.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.