View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 10:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Yes, he can call FedEx and redirect the package to his nearest "FedEx Office" location. It will add a couple days of transit time to the mix, but at least he won't need to miss a day's work to be physically present, and can sign for it + pick it up at his convenience.

I also agree that regular US Mail is by far the best for these types of shipments. FedEx is next, and UPS is a distant 3rd. With UPS you have to labor through their 3 futile yet mandatory delivery attempts, after which you'll have to drive forever to their nearest warehouse. And when you finally have it in-hand, it is most likely beaten to hell.
In my area there generally isn't any additional wait if I change the delivery location. Once I had to leave the day a Fedex package was to arrive and I just got online and changed the location to a nearby Walgreens and they had it there by 3:00pm the same day, and I only had to walk a few blocks.

UPS now delivers to a nearby locker facility if I miss the delivery. I don't even get the option of making that long slog out to the warehouse.

If someone ships USPS with signature required, it's the worst of the three - If I miss delivery I have to go to my local post office which is about ten miles away and it isn't there until the next morning. In addition, the line is always horrible and they frequently say that it isn't there, which requires that I get a manager and prove that it's there somewhere - they always eventually find the package, but it's a postal mentality.

Given that it's 2018, I don't see why each of the three can't figure out a way to give their customers an accurate and small delivery window.