View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Barry Sloate

I don't find it useful to measure old time ball players by the standards of what is happening in America today. Anson was a racist but he lived in the 1880's, so his life has to be examined in an historical context. America was different then. I would be more concerned with how today's ball players and fans comport themselves.

Baseball's biggest problem today is it's kind of boring. Batting average is at a generational low, and strikeouts are at an all time high. That doesn't keep fans glued to the game. So baseball has to find a way to work out its own kinks and make itself more compelling.

As far as the hobby goes there will always be people interested in collecting baseball cards and memorabilia, particularly vintage. If anything, because our society is so damaged, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future, collecting is a way to relax and block out all of the bad stuff. So I am not at all worried about it. The history of the game, and the artifacts we love, are alive and well.