Thread: REA fun!
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Bry@n

Agreed on the phone part, for sure. But for someone who has a bunch of bids in and can't afford to win them all, that guy has no idea which lots he is winning without a website to check. So, if you can't afford a bunch of high ceiling bids, then the only way to bid last night would have been to keep waiting up and hoping the site eventually worked (which many cannot do) OR to spend the whole night on the phone asking for updates on your bids so that you could go an increment or two on the items that the status of your other bids told you you could still afford. I can't imagine there were a whole lot of people that wanted to do that for anything but a must have item, and that is where I think the money was lost on this one.

I should add - I don't have any issues with REA's integrity or honesty, this is just a shitty situation that they are doing their best to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Anything is possible. There is also such thing as a phone. I started collecting late compared to many on our forum but in 1996 I don't think there were tons of internet auctions yet. Most I participated in (maybe all of them) I had to call in (or write in, which I didn't do) bids. If there was something I couldn't live without last night then I would have picked up the phone. I understand not everyone will do that. Advantage- Old fogey.

Last edited by Jobu; 10-29-2018 at 11:45 AM.