View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 11:49 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
... I think a better option would be T205's of T202's , you still can get decent grades (G-VG) without getting yourself in trouble.......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
A few hours here and there looking online over the last two days, and I will agree with you. It used to be you could get a VG range T-206 HOFer (not a name like Cobb or Johnson) for a couple hundred bucks. Those days are gone apparently, even poor and destroyed looking cards of the big boys seem to command major bills today so long as they are slabbed.

Another option may be doing the team collecting thing in pre-war. For my Cubs, 3-Finger Brown seems among the most expensive in the tobacco era, of course along with the poem boys, Tinker to Evers to Chance. But for T-205 they may still be do-able in lesser grade. I'll have to keep looking.

Just price-range wise - I'd say I spend $50 on a card several times a year, and spending more than $100 is a rare event. Just here lately I have spent well more than that on several postwar cards - I won't get into the details but those were pretty much one-off situations - the metrics around which I don't expect to occur again often.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-30-2018 at 12:03 PM.