Thread: Ruth M101-5?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Larry

Check the print dot pattern with a loupe--preferably a 16X one. It should be regular and linear if printed from the original plate, rather than random (counterfeits were made by taking a picture of a real card, then re-screening it--they will show a random dot pattern and lack of clarity compared to one printed from the original plate). Then have it forensically examined for dating of both the ink and the lighter weight than normal cardboard stock. There are prototypes known but not graded with exactly the characteristics shown on your card (inner border; less foot showing due to different photo-cropping) which were in existence and appeared (very, very rarely) at shows long, long before this card exploded in value (a statement which I know will be controversial among the mainstream, but nonetheless remains true). THERE WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NO POINT IN MAKING A COUNTERFEIT WITH SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT CHARACTERISTICS THAN A REGULAR CARD, i.e., card stock, inner border, and different photo-cropping), BUT EVERY POSSIBILITY SAME WAS DONE FOR PURPOSES OF FINAL DESIGN DETERMINATION.

If you decide to do each of the above, pm me as to the results. The loupe exam is an easy one. Only have the forensic exam as to both ink and stock done if the print dot pattern is what is should be, i.e., regular, linear and identical to the regular version M101-4 and M101-5 slabbed by PSA or SGC. I have no idea what the forensic examination would cost, but get a well-qualified expert if you decide to pursue the matter, and a full and detailed report.

Best of luck,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-03-2019 at 02:41 PM.