View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
However you too make a very valid point that not enough time, it would seem, is spent examining the cards. I think the volume of cards and pressure to get submissions completed to avoid further backlogs results in more mistakes.
And the time it takes to examine a card is just one factor that is unknown, with the identity of the people doing the grading, their qualifications for the job, any cross-checking by other graders, etc. are more unknowns. More transparency on the TPG's part in the grading process would be welcome in the hobby, but I don't expect it to happen at all.

That said, over the past 20+ years, the market has determined that three TPGs have earned enough trust by collectors who venture into graded items. We'll have to see over the coming months and years if the trimming and forgery revelations will erode much, if any, of that trust and if any TPGs will take the opportunity to address the issues and improve on their service. I'm sorry to say that I don't have high expectations here, either.